Very typical Scandinavian style in this home in Gothenburg/Sweden. The owners ‘rescued’ the house which was on the brink of demolition. Today it looks complete. Overall look white and warmth for family. And so very Scandinavian chic!! Do you like this style? This is detail about this house translate (google translate) from Hus & Hem.
It was when Wictoria Ostrelius came upstairs and through the dirty windows saw cranes across the Gota River, which she decided.
- This is where I would live. Whether it would prove to be a good idea to rebuild or not.
She was set on buying the old scrap collector’s house himself and was accompanied by his girlfriend Richard and a carpenter who could help assess the condition of the house was. It ended with the couple bought the house together.
Four years later, is 180 cubic meters of scrap and debris bortforslat, the plaster is changed to the facade and virtually everything inside has been blown out and rebuilt.
- Wictoria is visionary. She sees what is not there but might be, says Richard. I see reality, and on display, I saw only a dilapidated shack. But I was in love and wanted to do Wictoria happy, so I said yes to husköpet.
That decision changed the lives of the couple and also saved the lives of the neglected house in the working class district Ekebäck in western Göteborg.
Here the streets are narrow and the houses are close to small plots, some clinging on shelves in the steep mountain. People seem to love their old houses and paint and renovate constantly.
- There is an idyllic spot, think Wictoria. It will be much small talk between neighbors, we share tips and good advice and there is always someone who can lend it to temporarily lacking in his own household.
But really, the family Ostrelius-Holmgren not really had time to socialize with your neighbors. They have klängt on ladders, dragged amounts of debris into containers and kånkat into paint buckets. They have designed and described, built and fought – in short, put the whole relationship at risk by betting everything on Wictorias dream. In the middle of it all was born the son of Leon.
- The house has taught us what it is like to live together, says Richard. We had our battles through the worst period of renovation, but the job has welded us into one family.
They show photos of how the house looked like when they took over. The plaster had long been raging of the facade, some windows were broken and it was only a matter of time before the roof leak.
- Behind all this, I saw the beauty that I wanted to recreate, says Wictoria. I wanted an old wooden house, so we took down the plaster, insulated and sat on the facade. I believe that one should take into account the area too. This is an old working town, so a new house was not fitted well.
Richard became a foreman for 35 artisans that came and went during the first two years of intensive renovation. Maintenance was hard neglected but the body intact. There was no moisture, mold or rot. The house had a new roof and new paned window that resembles the old. The two small apartments on the ground floor were wiped out with a crowbar and saw that the floor plan was open. Kitchen and bathroom were thrown out. Sewer and water lines were replaced. The electricity was on.
upper floor was opened to the ceiling. Three bedrooms, new bathroom, a walk-in closet, an office and a loft on top of one of the bedrooms were created.
Wictoria are interior designers, as trend spotting is her job. She plows the interior design magazines and has full control of the net. Much of the home is purchased on the block or any auction site and have given new life with white paint and patterned fabrics.
- I have a passion for the old stuff with a story, she says. And the whole family loves white. It is reassuring and gives a breathing space when you come home.
The century-old house has become what Wictoria knew it had potential to be. Proud and majestic enthroned it on its corner site.
- I’m so impatient! But I think I’ve learned now, not to stress out things as I did before. An old house needs to be given the time it needs in its rejuvenation process. I managed to refrain from wallpapering the early years. Now that everything else is in place, I can see where I want the wallpaper and choose the ones that fit.
Richard is still difficult to imagine what will become of all the partner’s ideas.
- But she is very talented, so I trust her , he says. And as long as we stay reasonably within our budget so I can safely wait until the projects are finished and can be seen.